Are your business continuity plans dependable?

Business continuity planning is critical to the continuous operation of all types of businesses and something that all organisations should have in place, for the safe recovery of key business functions.

Most companies are now aware of the specific risks and catastrophes which could cause anything from major building damage to local system failure and recognise the importance of customised planning – but exactly how many actually test the plans they have in place?

According to a UK study by Databarracks, “less than a third of respondents to a survey (29%) stated that they had tested their plan during the previous twelve months”. That leaves a staggering 71% of businesses who hadn’t!

Testing and exercising business continuity plans is the theme for this year’s Business Continuity Awareness Week which runs from16 – 20 March 2015. According to the Business Continuity Institute the only way you will know if your plan works is when you put it into action for real - obviously not a good time to discover that it doesn’t work!

The recovery of your IT infrastructure should be an integral part of your business continuity plan; focusing on the processes necessary to resume trading after a disruptive event. As we all know, every computer system has the potential to fail whether it be through machine error, human error, a virus or a natural disaster, so putting in place a well-crafted backup and recovery plan will mitigate the risk of losing valuable data.

Backing up data onto media is critical and something that we highly recommend to all our clients. We also advocate relocating your backup media to a secure offsite storage facility, so that in the event of a disaster, your business can be up and running again as quickly as possible.

Here at Storage Management we have experience of simulated and actual recovery situations and understand that every minute counts. We are able to collect and store a range of media in our secure storage facilities and deliver it back to you as soon as you need it, or on a rotational basis to mirror your backup regimes.

We provide a quality data storage and retrieval service which operates 24/7/365. As we are certified to ISO 27001 and 9001 standards, you can also be assured of our consistent and professional approach to internal procedures and data security.

So don’t leave it until it’s too late – test the dependability of your business continuity plan now. What better time than during Business Continuity Awareness Week? This is the perfect opportunity.

If you need further advice or would like us to help you instigate this exercise call us on 0845 108 2434.

Return to the News page